The Sanskrit word ‘chakra’ means ‘disk’ or ‘wheel’; there are seven principal chakra points, or energy centres, on the body, each of which aligns with an endocrine gland (the adrenal, pancreatic, thymus, thyroid, pituitary, pineal and reproductive glands). An aspect of yoga, meditation and healing practices for thousands of years, chakras can be seen as points on the physical body where matter and consciousness meet. The invisible life-force energy (chi, qi or prana) moves through these centres; chakras in balance are believed to support our health, keeping us grounded, vibrant and resilient.
Switchwords in healing is in its infancy and is therefore experimental – however, Reiki healers using Switchwords are reporting success in incorporating chakra Switchwords into their practice.
The Seven Chakras
There are seven main chakras:
- Root or base (red) Located at the bottom of the spine (back of the body) and genitals (front of the body), this is the chakra associated with stability, financial security, and our basic needs. When it’s functioning well, we feel grounded, safe and secure.
- Sacral (orange) Found about two inches below the navel, this is the chakra of sexuality and creativity. When it’s functioning well, we are able to feel confident in our own self-expression and manage creative energy (including sexual energy) for our own and others’ higher good.
- Solar Plexus (yellow) Located at the solar plexus, the solar plexus chakra is our personal power-house, the home of ego, empathy and self-determination. When it’s functioning well, it enables us to be powerful – to be our authentic selves without fear.
- Heart (green and pink) Located over the physical heart, this is the seat of love in all its manifestations. This unites the lower chakras of matter and the upper chakras of spirit. An open heart means we are capable of giving and receiving love and can connect with all living beings, appreciate their beauty and find joy in day-to-day life. It is also the centre of gratitude, which enables us to manifest the good things of life easily and effortlessly.
- Throat (blue) Located at the throat, this chakra represents verbal communication and the ability to speak our truth. When it’s working properly, it enables us to speak out and express ourselves authentically.
- Third Eye (indigo) Located between the eyebrows, this is the site of the ‘mind’s eye’. This is the home of our intuition, and our ability to see more deeply; it’s also connection point for psychic communication. When the third eye is functioning well, we can see without judging ourselves or others – and see beyond the obvious through a lens of wisdom.
- Crown (pure white light) Found at the crown of the head, this is the chakra of spiritual connection, the door to higher consciousness and our Higher Self. When it’s functioned well, we feel at one with ourselves, others and the Universe.
To harmonise all the chakras during a healing session, try chanting DIVINE LIGHT-ADJUST. This asks for chakra balancing from the highest intention. DIVINE-ORDER encourages chakra alignment, while chanting PURE or CLEAR helps release energetic blocks. Experiment with other words you intuit for healing, too.
For the Switchwords associated with each chakra, see Switchwords: How to Use One Word to Get What You Want.
Wishing you health and happiness: ANGEL-LIGHT-DIVINE-BE.
Any questions? Ask here